Table of Contents
- What Is The Best Black Fly Repellent?
- 1. Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent – Editor’s Choice
- 2. Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula Spray Pump – Amazone’s Choice
- 3. No-Bite-Me Natural Bug Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Best For Kids
- 4. Bonide Fly Repellent Granules – All Rounder Repellent
- 5. Hem Citronella Incense Sticks – Great Natural Insect Repellent
- 6. Repel Insect Repellent Citronella Candle – Ideal Outdoor Candle Repellent
- Buyer’s Guide
Whether you’re a human or an animal, flies are one of the most irritating pests. When they have found you, they’re extremely persistent. They keep coming back for more, no matter how hard you slap at them. They even stink and bite, which makes them much more unpleasant. So, It’s just about time to get rid of them.
What Is The Best Black Fly Repellent?
1. Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent – Editor’s Choice
- Safe for use on the whole family, long-lasting insect and tick...
- Fragrance-free topical insect repellent with 20% Picaridin —...
- Very comfortable to wear on your skin, it's ideal for all your...
Wide Range of Insect Repellent
Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent might be the safest black fly repellent as it contains no toxic formula suitable for the whole family. It is infused with a Picaridin, a WHO-recommended ingredient for repellent. Overall, this is a nice product to take in charge of protecting your loved ones against black flies.
- Safe for the whole family
- Citrus Fragrance
- Picaridin infused product
- Effective up to 8 hours against biting flies
- You need to wash your hands just after using it
2. Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula Spray Pump – Amazone’s Choice
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that...
- CONTAINS 40% DEET: Provides long-lasting protection in the great...
- DEVELOPED FOR OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS: Especially for campers,...
Outdoor and On-the-Go
Effective and Natural
When it comes to your outdoor protection against black flies, this Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula is a no brainer. It was specifically designed to accommodate your outdoor needs, ingredient and packaging wise.
- Convenient application
- Easily packed for outdoor gears
- Available in various active ingredients
- Long-lasting protection
- Might be difficult to spray than pump sprays
3. No-Bite-Me Natural Bug Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Best For Kids
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL!...
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential...
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: "No-Bite-Me" is a completely safe, natural bug...
All Natural Ingredients
This prevention and after-bite treatment are promising all-natural ingredients crafted by their expert artisans. It has a nice smell that will make you want to use it even more. However, there are some accounts that this product attracts insects rather than actually repelling it. Nevertheless, it is a safe product for you and your family.
- Effective at infestation
- Crafted by artisans
- Deet Free and safe for children
- Avoid contact with eyes
4. Bonide Fly Repellent Granules – All Rounder Repellent
- BUG CONTROL - This pest control is great for repelling horn,...
- ODOR REDUCER - Product not only repels insects but also helps...
- INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE - Can be used inside horse stables, dairy...
Outdoor Application and Easy to Use
Strong Botanical Formulation
Revenge Fly Beater Fly and Odor Reducer is an all rounder product that not only repels various types of insects but also deodorizes the area where it has been applied. It is made from botanical ingredients which is a good formula safe for you, your children and even pets.
- Children and pet safe
- 100 percent botanical ingredients
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Odor reducer
- Higher price point
5. Hem Citronella Incense Sticks – Great Natural Insect Repellent
- Hem Incense is the world's most popular incense stick
- Each box comes in 6 tubes of 20 sticks each for convenient...
- Experience an absolutely beautiful fragrance with Hem
This product is a hidden gem made from conventional and old ways to repel irritating insects. The fragrance it offers brings positive vibes to the table and it is a hundred percent safe with natural ingredients. However, you have to check its cost-effectiveness because the sticks tend to burn in a very short time.
- Repels foul odor and insects
- 100 percent organic
- For big range of insects
- For indoor and outdoor use
- You need 3 or 4 sticks at once
6. Repel Insect Repellent Citronella Candle – Ideal Outdoor Candle Repellent
- DECK AND PATIO AREA REPELLENT: Repels mosquitoes and other flying...
- CREATES AN INSECT BARRIER: 20-ounce candle provides up to 40...
- MADE WITH REAL CITRONELLA OIL: Keeps mosquitoes away from outdoor...
Great for Decoration
Repel Insect Repellent Citronella Candle might have the best feature to be the best outdoor repellent for various insects. It is mainly infused with citronella making it effective as a repellent and at the same time, it does not smell stronger than other citronella products.
- Up to 40 hours of protection
- Easy to use
- Does not smell strongly
- Perfect for the patio, porch, deck or campsite
- The wick can burn too quickly
What are black flies attracted to?
Black flies are primarily drawn to humans by the carbon dioxide we exhale, but dark-colored clothes, perfumes, and sweat also attract these blood-sucking insects. Black flies are also drawn to animals and other mammals by the scent of exhaled carbon dioxide.
What diseases do black flies carry?
Black flies may be irritating biting bugs, but no infectious agents are believed to be spread to humans. However, one parasitic nematode worm that infects humans in other parts of the world is spread by them. They may also cause Onchocerciasis, an eye and skin condition caused by the bite of a blackfly (Simulium species) that is spread to humans by a worm.
How do you get rid of black flies naturally?
In a bottle, rub some on clothes or apply 10 to 15 drops to a cup of water and wipe away the flies. Sassafras, pennyroyal, lavender, eucalyptus, lemon balm (also known as citronella), and cedar are other oils to try in order to get rid of them. Black flies can be deterred from burning these in candles or diffusers.
How do I get rid of black flies in my yard?
Use citronella-containing fly repellent coils or candles to stop black flies. By cutting the grass and trimming shrubbery, the black fly population is minimized. Black flies are drawn to darker clothing, so make sure you’re wearing light clothing or wear a hat to deter them.
What to put on black fly bites?
To minimize swelling from a black fly bite, add ice to the region at fifteen-minute intervals. In the infected region, you should apply cortisone or prescription topical steroids. Washing the region with water and soap will also decrease the chance of infection.
I am Tanya Latty, a professor of entomology and ecology at the University of Sydney. I have been working in these fields for many years, with a particular interest in social invertebrates like bees and ants. I enjoy spending time outdoors observing nature. When not doing research or teaching, I love to read books about insects!