Fleas and ticks are a very real concern for pet owners across America. These pests are not only annoying for people and dogs and cats but also can present certain health risks. This is why finding safe, effective best flea and tick yard spray is so important.
What is The Best Flea and Tick Treatments in 2020?
Here is a list of some of the best flea yard spray and tick products that are available on the market today. You’ll find something here for every purpose. Whether you’re okay with using chemicals or want to go the all-natural route, you’re bound to find a product here that will suit your needs.
Here is a useful table to help you understand the results of our analysis at a glance.
The Problem with Fleas and Ticks
These pests are both parasites that feed on the blood of humans and animals. They are tiny and incredibly resilient. It is possible for them to survive when other species would not be able to.
Eggs that are not gotten rid of becoming larvae and then pupae. Very little time is required to make these transitions. Before long, the pupae are an adult and looking for a host.
Illnesses Caused by Fleas and Ticks
When fleas are allowed to feast on pets, the problems can become severe. Dogs and cats may scratch themselves until their skin is raw. This causes bleeding and hair loss. Infection may follow if the situation is not addressed.
Ticks can present even more troubling issues. In especially serious cases, ticks may cause a deadly disease called Cytauxzoonosis or transmit Lyme Disease. Prompt attention from a vet is recommended when one of these conditions is suspected.
Breaking the Life Cycle of Fleas and Ticks
These pests don’t just harass dogs and cats, they also cause discomfort for people. Unfortunately, it is incredibly difficult to stop the flea and tick life cycle. Eggs from fleas and ticks are deposited throughout households and yards. They can be in rugs, carpets, curtains, bedding, and upholstered furniture. Breaking the life cycle of fleas and ticks is not easy. Specially formulated products like the best flea and tick spray for yard are required to eliminate an infestation. Sometimes, a variety of products is required.
Breaking the life cycle of fleas and ticks is not easy. Specially formulated products are required to eliminate an infestation. Sometimes, a variety of products is required.
Choosing The Best Flea and Tick Spray for the Yard
A wide variety of products are available today for treating flea and tick problems. Some of them are designed to be applied directly to pets that are dealing with pests. Others are intended for use inside the house where they can treat eggs, larvae, pupae and adults alike.
Certain flea and tick treatments are true multi-taskers. Not only can they be applied directly to animals to prevent or end an infestation, but also they can be sprayed around the house and outside to completely control the situation.
Natural or Chemical Remedies?
Scientists have put a good deal of research into finding chemical flea and tick treatments that are safe to use around people and pets. Of course, it’s critical that these products be used only as directed. That means not using more than the recommended dose, which can cause an array of difficulties.
Of course, these products also have to be used in accordance with directions. Failing to do so can cause a host of problems.
1. Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray for Cats – Editor’s Choice[amazon box=”B01N19GGJJ” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] This flea and tick spray from Vet’s Best has a lot going for it. Not only is it made in the U.S.A, but also it’s a water-based formula that contains nothing else but essential oils.
Additionally, this flea and tick spray is suitable for use on surfaces both indoors and out. It can be sprayed directly onto pet blankets and bedding as well as rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and curtains. Outdoors, the formula can be sprayed virtually anywhere to deter fleas and ticks from entering the property.
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray for Cats advertises that it is formulated specifically for cats. Accordingly, it is not likely to be effective or safe when used on dogs. Ingredients in the spray include essential oils like peppermint and eugenol from the clove plant.
2. Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Pet & Home Spray for Dogs – #1 Best Seller[amazon box=”B003PRI6OC” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] This product is warranted to kill fleas and their eggs in addition to ticks at contact. Once again, this is an all-natural product from Vet’s Best, but this formulation is suitable for use on dogs.
With a water base, this product will not stain fabrics or other surfaces. It is safe enough to use virtually anywhere, both indoors and out.
Manufactured in the U.S.A., this product features sensible packaging that includes a detached spray nozzle and induction seal cap to protect against leaks during shipping.
3. Wondercide Flea and Tick and Mosquito Control Spray for Cats, Dogs and Home – Amazon’s Choice[amazon box=”B01M8GFPXG” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] Whether you prefer lemongrass, rosemary, cedar or peppermint, there is a variety of Wondercide that is perfect for your household. Even better, it’s safe to use on dogs, cats and everywhere inside and outside the house.
Cedar oil and lemongrass oil are the main active ingredients in Wondercide, so it is safe for use on all pets. Unlike many other flea and tick sprays, this item does not include peppermint oil as an ingredient. The peppermint variety is merely an aromatherapy scent that some people and pets find pleasing.
The addition of vitamin E is soothing to pets whose skin is irritated by pests. Wondercide is formulated to stop the lifecycle of pests who both people, cats, and dogs, so it may be possible to end persistent infestations with this product.
Wondercide Spray Video Review
4. Bayer Advantage II Topical Flea Treatment Dogs –Best Chemical-Based Treatment for Dogs[amazon box=”B004QBL9IQ” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″]
On the potential downside is that this product relies on chemicals to kill fleas. Many pet owners are hesitant about using chemicals in their homes and on their furry family members. This product is carefully formulated to be safe for use around people and pets. Still, some people or animals with sensitivities may have an uncomfortable reaction.
In fact, this product is supposed to be effective on fleas at all life stages. While this is good news, it is important to note that this item is not formulated for ticks or other pests. Additionally, it is not meant to be sprayed around your house. It only keeps your dog pest free.
5. Ultrasonic Pest Repellent Control 2020 (2-Pack) – Newest Electronic Solution to Pests[amazon box=”B07RZ4N9QN” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] The Ever Pest product is billed to be effective at repelling fleas, fruit flies, ants, cockroaches, and even rodents. If you don’t want to be bothered with something that you have to spray, then this product might be the perfect solution for you.
Many people like that this product uses no chemicals or potentially harmful substances. It just uses noises that insects and other pests are supposed to find irritating so that they vacate the property. Theoretically, this should discourage fleas and ticks from getting attached to your pets.
Using these devices involves simply plugging them into an ordinary outlet. Each device is equipped with a small LED light which can serve a dual purpose as a nightlight.
6. HARRIS Green Flea and Tick Killer for Home – Best Treatment for Pets, Indoors and Outdoors[amazon box=”B07GNNKJTR” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] This is another formulation that is 100 percent natural. However, it is advertised to work on both cats and dogs, so it may be a better choice for people who own a variety of pets.
Harris manufactures this product in the U.S. along with other natural pest products. A 30-day guarantee is offered to all consumers who try this product. If the formula doesn’t do what it’s supposed to, you can get a full refund.
This flea and tick spray may be applied directly to dogs and cats in addition to being sprayed on a variety of surfaces inside the home. Use it along baseboards, on human and pet bedding and on carpets among other items.
Use outside also is recommended if people want to keep new fleas and ticks away from the property and especially away from their pets.
7. Pet Relief Bug & Pest Spray – Best All-Natural Treatment for Dogs[amazon box=”B017XUR1KQ” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″]
Instead, the manufacturer advises using it a minimum of two times daily, with between two and six spritzes being used each time, depending on the size of the dog. The product is sprayed onto the owner’s hands and is then applied to the dog with special attention to the head, neck, and belly.
With use recommended at between two and three times a day, this one-ounce bottle is unlikely to last long during the heavy flea and tick season. Additionally, keep in mind that this product isn’t really formulated or packaged to be used anywhere other than on your dog’s fur.
8. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Yard Spray – Best Chemical Treatment for Yards & Gardens[amazon box=”B001OVGIUU” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] A single application of this spray is advertised to provide four weeks of pest control around the house. The 32-ounce bottle covers 5,000 square feet with ease.
An application is easy thanks to a hose-end sprayer. Simply attach the bottle to an ordinary garden hose and follow the instructions to safely treat the entire yard.
Of course, it is important to note that this product does rely on a chemical as its active ingredient. This means that it is not an organic, all-natural product. Nonetheless, this is a product that has been widely available for several years, so it is probably formulated correctly to be effective and cause the least amount of potential environmental damage.
9. EcoSMART Botanical Yard & Kennel Flea & Tick Killer – Best Natural Treatment for Yards[amazon box=”B001S31NBI” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] This product is marketed as being effective against fleas and ticks, including their larvae and eggs. Even better, it is described as being wholly organic, a factor that many environmentally conscious consumers will appreciate.
Although this is a natural, organic product, it is not intended for indoor use. It can be used in playhouses, gardens, lawns, dog houses and kennels without concern for negative effects to children or pets. However, you’ll need another form of treatment to be placed directly on pets and for use indoors.
The biodegradable formula is not supposed to leave any toxic residue, and it is warranted not to contaminate groundwater. With a bottle that can easily be attached to a garden hose, an application is quick and straightforward.
How to Kill Fleas in Your Yard
The Bottom Line on Flea and Tick Treatments
Whether you are looking for an all-in-one solution or something that serves a single purpose, you have a number of options from which to choose. Tailor the choices here to suit your preferences and lifestyle. From all-natural solutions to extremely effective chemicals, you can stop fleas and ticks from harassing your pets.
How to Make a Homemade Flea and Tick Repellent (Video)
I’m Maddy Rigby and I am a Senior Lecturer in the School of Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Sydney. I obtained my PhD in Insect Ecology from the University of Calgary in Canada with a focus on insect behavior.