Chigger bites can be incredibly irritating and cause intense itching that can last for weeks. These tiny pests are difficult to detect, and by the time you notice the bites, the damage is already done. The constant scratching and discomfort can drive you to the brink, making it crucial to take preventive measures. Thankfully, there are effective solutions available, including indoor chigger spray and best chigger repellent for humans. These products are designed to repel chiggers and provide relief from their bites. If you prefer natural alternatives, you can also explore options for natural chigger repellent. By using these repellents, you can protect yourself from chigger bites and enjoy your time outdoors without the constant itch and frustration.
What Is The Best Chigger Repellent?[amazon table=”541″ tracking_id=”trap0e-20″]
1. Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent – Editor’s Choice[amazon box=”B001ANQVYU” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent not only repels insects for use in clothing, tents, sleeping bags, and other outdoor equipment, it also kills mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other forms of contact insects. Permethrin would not stain or damage clothes, garments, plastics, finished materials, or any of your gear whether after drying.
Non-Staining and Versatile
Permethrin Based Formula
If you want to protect yourself against chiggers while you are camping or going outside without applying it on your skin this Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing is the perfect choice for you. Plus, it is a long-lasting formula so a little goes a long way making it cost-effective in repelling chiggers.
2. Wondercide Natural Ready to Use Yard Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray – Amazon’s Choice[amazon box=”B01FWRX2NM” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] Wondercide is the all-natural solution to your problems with chiggers. The active component is the essential oil of cedarwood. Ants, chiggers, chinch bugs, crickets, fleas, bees, gnats, Japanese beetles, mosquitoes, no-see-ums, roaches, scorpions, ticks, and more are being repelled and killed by this formula. The 16-ounce bottle can be mixed with water to accommodate up to 8,000 square feet of lawn beds, flowers, siding, fruits, stone, and more.
Safe with Added Natural Benefits
Deters and Eliminates Pests
Wondercide Natural Ready to Use Yard Flea, Tick, and Mosquito Spray offers impressive effectiveness in eliminating not just chigger but also many other pests that may disturb you, with its all-natural formulation.
3. Cutter Skinsations Insect Repellent3 Aerosol – Best All Ages Chigger Repellent[amazon box=”B00AA8X2XO” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] Insect Repellent Cutter Skinsation might have everything you want in a bug spray! Mosquitoes, including those that spread the Zika, West Nile, Dengue, and Chikungunya viruses, are repelled by its 7 percent DEET solution. Insect Repellent Cutter Skinsations has a crisp, fresh smell that never smells sticky or greasy while providing a buffer of irritating bugs that can destroy your outdoor experience.
Aloe and Vitamin E Infused
360 Degree Pump and Easy to Apply
Usually, chigger repellents and other mosquito repellents might not be suitable for the whole family to use because of its harsh formulation, but this Cutter Skinsations Insect Repellent Pump Spray opposed this. Its formulation is suitable for all ages, an ideal repellent for all family members.
4. Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion – Best Outdoor Chigger Repellent[amazon box=”B004LA5SUC” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] The insect repellent lotion from Ultrathon offers exceptional protection against biting insects, so you can appreciate the stunning outdoors without worrying. Crafted to offer long-lasting mosquito repellency in some of the harshest conditions in the world, with revolutionary 3 M time-release technology, thischigger repellent for yard provides up to 12 hours of effective mosquito protection.
Effective on Many Insects
Advanced 3M Controlled Release Technology
Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion promises good protection against disease-carrying mosquitoes and chiggers that you might encounter in the great outdoors. Therefore, this product may be the best outdoor chigger repellent you should consider when you are often outside your homes.
5. OFF! Deep Woods Insect & Mosquito Repellent – Best Long Lasting Chigger Repellent[amazon box=”B074SNMZCM” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] OFF! Deep Woods provides you with long-lasting mosquito protection for your fun outdoor activities This product contains active ingredients which, under the harshest conditions, repel bugs. In addition, it is also effective against biting flies, gnats, and chiggers. Anytime you go camping, fishing, hiking, or hunting in densely wooded areas, Deep Woods repellent is an ideal protection you should consider.
Good for All Ages
OFF! Deep Woods Insect & Mosquito Repellent might have the best long-lasting protection against chiggers and other pesky insects that may disturb your outdoor trips. It is also formulated in such a way that it will give protection without you noticing or being bothered by it.
6. Chigg-Away The Soldier’s Choice Relieves Itching and Repels Chiggers – Best Chigger Repellent with Anti Itch[amazon box=”B00KKX40PS” tracking_id=”trap0e-20″] Chigg-Away provides a dual-purpose formulation that not only serves to repel chiggers, it also helps to ease the pain and scratching associated with bites. So, if you’ve failed to use it successfully to stop bites, you should use it to handle and treat them afterward. Otherwise, it’s just as effective to repel chiggers and treat their bites.
DEET Free Formula
Chigg-Away’s versatility is a no brainer, aside from its chigger repellent capability, it is also well established in alleviating itch from different insect bites. Overall, this is a smart product to consider especially that it acts as a dual purpose.
What smell do chiggers hate?
Tea Tree Oil tends to work well against ticks, chiggers, and deer flies if you use Essential Oils (EO) treatment, while citronella, citrus, and eucalyptus are the best at keeping off mosquitoes and black flies.
Does rubbing alcohol kill chiggers?
A perfect way to prevent chiggers from jumping on you and biting you in the first place is repellent. While rubbing alcohol is also a quick remedy for chiggers, it will burn when it hits some chiggers-created bite wounds.
Does Dawn dish soap kill chiggers?
In that category, Chiggers Dawn dish fluid and water (soapy water) can kill fleas, ticks, and certain other insects. But, manage only parts of your yard where it is verified that chiggers reside. Don’t overuse pesticides in treating the whole affected areas.
Can chiggers live in your bed?
Chiggers ought not to live in your bed and to get their three-to-four-day feed, these microscopic bugs require a warm body so they can morph into a nymph and become adults. Until laying eggs in the spring, chiggers spend their winter in the forest.
How can I tell if my yard has chiggers?
The appearance of the chiggers would be small and either red or yellow, so you should be able to see them against the black background quickly. Another way to search them: for a few minutes, leave a small bowl of water on the lawn. Check along the rim for chiggers clustered.
Can chiggers spread from person to person?
Chigger bites are not viral, so someone can’t catch them or give them to someone else. So, until the scratching makes you too uneasy, you should still play sports and do all your usual outdoor activities.
It is important to apply chigger repellents before you venture into the wilds. It’s too late once you’re in the middle of it. But if you apply them right, they’ll keep the chiggers away from you and your family in advance. In general, for most uses, there are three primary repellent ingredients, including Deet, Permethrin, and Picaridin. These last from 4 and 10 hours per framework when introduced. If you choose natural treatments, remember that they last between 30 minutes and 2 hours each application.
There are two types of applications; one is to apply the product to clothes and perimeters, and the other is to apply the product directly to the body. Permethrin is an ingredient that is used for textile and fiber applications that is used to avoid chiggers and mosquitoes. You don’t need to add a skin-based cream to the areas hidden by clothing while you are wearing garments. The chigger spray for furniture can be used to treat furniture and other surfaces in your home to create a protective barrier against chiggers. The product list above will help you determine what best-suited chigger repellent works for you.
I am Tanya Latty, a professor of entomology and ecology at the University of Sydney. I have been working in these fields for many years, with a particular interest in social invertebrates like bees and ants. I enjoy spending time outdoors observing nature. When not doing research or teaching, I love to read books about insects!